Click here if you are having website access problems ×

K series coolant leak

Bumble

Just managed to have a better look at the picture. Not sure but from what I can see are there signs of coolant leakage more generally sprayed around. I'm particularly looking at the back of the timing belt cover. If so, take the belt cover off and have a good look at the water pump as the leak could be coming from there.

Where the rust mark is, is exactly where my gasket failed. The elastomer on the original rover gasket was only just sealing from the witness marks on the block and gave up after 10years. Fine jet of coolant spraying everywhere.

Simple gasket change sorted it. I did mine myself, but you local favourite garage will have done plenty of k-series gaskets in the past so won't be frightened of another if you don't fancy it.

Bri

Thanks all, got it booked in this Sat to be looked at, hopefully it can be repaired or replaced for Brands Hatch on the 3rd - is it a particularly time consuming thing to do if the gasket needs replacing? - considering you have the right tools etc.?

Thanks,

Matt

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update - it was a water inlet gasket that failed. It was sorted out rapidly by Sevens and Classics. I picked the car up yesterday afternoon in time to drive round the corner and hand the keys to my brothers in law for their first track session - a novice session at brands - glad it was an inexpensive repair!

Matt

Excellent news! Water must have been tracking around the head/block joint and appearing on the opposite side of the engine, which can be most confusing for diagnosis, but with the angle the engine is mounted in the Caterham is actually to be expected.

Just for the record, by "water inlet gasket" - do you mean it was one of the water channels in the inlet manifold gasket? Do you have a plastic or aluminium inlet manifold? I know the gaskets used on the plastic ones are known for failing and leaking water.

Water is used to gently warm the manifold as the evaporating fuel chills it and eventually can lead to fuel condensing on the manifold walls and the engine stumbling.