Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Uneven running

Bokonon

I've had my car for a couple of weeks now and it's been running beautifully until now. It's a 2010 1.6 140bhp Sigma.

Was on a long run and noticed it starting to run very unevenly at lower revs. It got worse and worse until it was struggling not to stall at idle with the revs repeatedly rising to 1k, dropping to virtually nothing and then back up again.

When driving it was fine above around 3k revs but increasingly badly behaved below that, and was jerky and rough-sounding.

At one point I stopped for a few minutes and it was fine again when started for a few minutes, then started to regress again.

I have zero mechanical knowledge - is there anything this could obviously be?

Edited by - Bokonon on 24 Aug 2014 14:58:07

Edited by - Bokonon on 24 Aug 2014 14:59:39

I would accept the use of the MBE lead / Easimap. Look for a flat lining Lambda output. I've found the best place for a new Lambda is "Just Lambdas" you need a planar sensor, they had a Bosch on special offer or a Walker one which is slightly cheaper but appears good quality. All you need do is crimp or solder your old plug on.

null

null

Sorry unable to add links when using phone

Edited by - John Hughes on 24 Aug 2014 18:37:55

Edited by - John Hughes on 24 Aug 2014 18:40:07

Thanks for the replies so far.

Would there be an effect on fuel economy with a dodgy sensor? Appears to be doing about 15mpg currently which can't be right, even with some spirited driving....

Oh, and it does have a cat bypass pipe as well.

As I say, it was running perfectly up until Friday though and suddenly started playing up. Was away for the weekend and returning today had to sit in some very heavy stop-start traffic. Pulled over eventually as was having to ride the clutch just to keep it running.

Edited by - Bokonon on 24 Aug 2014 21:53:23

Edited by - Bokonon on 24 Aug 2014 21:53:51

On a sigma unpluggng the Lambda will not help once the engine is warmed up and the ECU starts to use the Lambda.

Fuel consumption will be rubbish as you say. You may have choked your plugs so a new set may be needed. At least you haven't got a cat to knacker *smile*