Click here if you are having website access problems ×

NOW SORTED - thanks...was 'Urgent advice needed - currently track side'

Silverback

Hi,

One of the tillet mountings into the runner has come loose so I am currently staring at 4 tillet plastic spacers and a loose bolt spinning inside the runner.

Looks like a seat out job as not sure I have the tools to fix trackside (not enough space to Allen key the bolt to the seat and not sure I am up for removing the seat and runners completely).

Question is...safe to run with only 3 secure mounting points to the runners for the remainder of the track day?

Thanks

Matthew

Edited by - Silverback on 23 Aug 2014 12:54:33

Edited by - Silverback on 23 Aug 2014 16:51:53

http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y482/mlarbey/A%20new%20R400%20finds%20a%20happy%20home/CCC764B5-5CE2-48F6-9BC9-74EA35B7CEFD_zpsbugf3jcc.jpg

http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y482/mlarbey/A%20new%20R400%20finds%20a%20happy%20home/F3A22ADA-49F6-47C3-9301-EEED870E7090_zpsajryc8ry.jpg

Think the issue is no axle stands - I only have trolley jack and don't want to work under the car using only that (ignoring the fact I am a numpty and taking seats out is quite ambitious for me...)

Frustratingly all I need is a short length Allan key and might be able to get to it but all mine are too long.

Anyone know the cap head size by any chance?

It is the belts that hold you in place (with a foam bag seat there are no mountings holding it in place) so part of me says I'd carry on. But I think it would depend on how much of a gap there is between the back of the tillet and the rear bulkhead - if 2 more of the mountings went then the seat could move and the belts would go slack which isn't good. But if the seat is right back against the bulkhead this would be less of an issue?

I must admit I'd probably carry on - but don't let the fact I might be a fool convince you!

I am going to carry on...other mountings seem tight and there is a little movement elsewhere and the belts will hold me should anything happen and give me a chance to sort at a later date.

Am going to see what I can do in terms of getting the bolt into the seat beforehand...

Thanks for quick responses - hugely appreciated.

Quoting Grubbster: 

I think it is the allen headed bolt that goes upwards into the tillet (not down through the floor) so needs to be able to turn it ☹️

Yep, that is the one. Did a few more runs (6 point harness) and no further issues (other than an unnerving amount of movement that while small, was certainly interesting with 6th to 2nd hairpin braking zones...

My 'support' vehicle needed to get back so we called it a day with an hour and a bit remaining...I feel like I have had some good track time this past week so no feeling to push on for another couple of sessions and potentially have other issues.

Thanks for the replies, will review the seat mounting at my leisure and reflect on my first rain storm aeroscreen experience on the way home that was...refreshing to say the least *smile*

Thanks to Paul Croll trackside as well for his advice and the R300 couple that were there as well (sorry didn't get a name) *thumbup*

Quoting Jonathan Kay: 
Does that mean the seat was moving relative to the car... ?

Jonathan

Just tilting slightly forward under braking as the seat had no spacers between the bottom of the seat shell and the runners (the bolt goes through the spacers). Tiny amount of real world movement but obviously feels more when you are in the seat (and overly sensitive to it as you know one side is loose)

Jonathan - yep, agreed that's the plan *thumbup*

MrP - thanks! To be fair, all fairly minor troubles. Am loving the experience, not seeking perfection and still have silly smiles on my face when driving it *smile*

Blat chat community a HUGE support resource as well which gives confidence that any issue, small or big can be sorted *cool*

Quoting Silverback: 
was certainly interesting with 6th to 2nd hairpin braking zones...

Nah, 3rd through both hairpins, otherwise you'rescrabbling for grip and gears *wink*

Smashing fun that track. Here's footage from our last session (just before lunch)

Bedford Fast Laps

Quoting Silverback: 
Thanks to Paul Croll trackside as well for his advice and the R300 couple that were there as well (sorry didn't get a name) *thumbup*

Martyn and my missus, Alex. Great to meet you. Glad you got some more driving in and nothings now bent out of shape

Quoting Rattie: 

Nah, 3rd through both hairpins, otherwise you'rescrabbling for grip and gears *wink*

Smashing fun that track. Here's footage from our last session (just before lunch)

Bedford Fast Laps

I can see I still have plenty to learn - my R400 fast laps were only a few seconds quicker than yours...will try +1 higher gear strategy at the hairpins next time. I also see you only drop to 5th at the chicance in the middle of the long back straight, whereas I drop all the way to 4th...