Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Today I bought a Tow Rope!

RS2000

and SWMBO had a quick lesson in and first experience of..... towing a Caterham 😬

Broke down this morning about 12 miles from home having stopped to use a cash machine. ☹️

Pretty sure it is the battery, it's been showing signs of being knackered for a little while now, but started perfectly this morning. When I returned to the 7 with cash in hand, starter motor didn't turn over, checked the immobiliser was off and it was making lots of strange noises (like an old telephone exchange!). Tried various things for about 15 minutes before admitting defeat

Don't think it was 'k-click'... will bung battery on charge later and see what happens (and have already ordered a new one)

Yeah, the solenoid would have been thrown, engaging the main current for the starter, which dropped the voltage from the battery, which allowed the solenoid to release, which dropped the load on the battery, which allowed the solenoid to throw again.

Lots of clicky noises!

Easiest test in your case would probably have been to try jumping it in a similar situation. If that worked, it would reinforce your battery theory.

Could be the battery. Could be the feed to the solenoid. Could (possibly) be something else.

Do you have a multimeter? If not treat yourself to one. It will save you a lot of time,

There are lots of reports of the solenoid feed problem depending on the engine temperature. So you could in theory be misled by it successfully starting with a new battery or a jump from another battery if you do that when it's cold.

Jonathan

• Area Representative

Hi Chris,

Can't offer any words of wisdom I am afraid, but quite ironic given that mine needed a push at Crockerton on the way down to Poole Quay but has been fine since *confused*

Hope you get it sorted.

I think mine caught it from yours 😬

Fairly sure it's battery, new one arrives tomorrow or Thursday

Glad yours behaved!

Not been up that hairpin road before and great view from the top, we came back that way too 😬 😬 - thanks for introducing me to that one!

• Area Representative

Zig Zag hill, the secret is to get a clear run, not stuck behind traffic as we were ☹️

We came back the same way with Stewart and Jane. Quite fascinating seeing all the Combines working across the fields with all their lights on from the top of the hill.

Quoting badger: 
For my enlightenment, where do you hitch the towrope to on the front of the car? Is there a towing eye somewhere?

Yep, small downward facing hoop front drivers side corner - I took the nosecone off to ensure the rope wouldn't 'interfere' or destroy it

Fitted the new battery this evening and all is well again, need to take it on a proper run to check, that will be on Saturday, off to a family gathering in Forest of Dean

Quoting manningpaul: 

Zig Zag hill, the secret is to get a clear run, not stuck behind traffic as we were ☹️

Nice and clear on the way back, at the bottom SWMBO was grinning and said 'You enjoyed that didn't you' - yes I did! 😬