Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Wing Mirrors - alternative mounting on an aeroscreen

AdC

Having just installed a clear aeroscreen (replacing a black fibreglass one) I'm wondering if there are better wing mirror install locations than drilling into the corners of the new screen (like the old one)? The car's never had a full screen or doors, so the triangular screen brackets aren't there, but I'm wondering if it's possible to mount a longer stalked (to look over the rear mudguards) mirror on the bodywork? Where, and which mirror?

Oh, and are no side mirrors an MOT fail? Thanks.

Yeah, mine have always been mounted direct to the scuttle with a pair of rivnuts (captive nuts). I've got SPAs with long stalks.

The 'only' problem is that the rivnuts are not completely flush with the panel - and you will be mounting onto a convex surface - consequently, it is likely that the assembly will flex, rattle or vibrate. I solved this (or mitigated it) by fitting a fairly-dense flat pad under the Spa mount.

Fwiw, I've just checked my car and I used nylon bolts to mount the mirrors. This was as a result of ripping an ugly hole (too big to fix) in the scuttle when a stray headlight unit took the mirror off!

There are arguments saying that nylon bolts will still be too strong to prevent this kind of damage - but at least they shouldn't seize!

How about these

from the front

I know Redine do a chrome version. I bought bullet mirrors from Stafford / Europa then had a local engineering shop make the arms for me and then had them powder coated .

Edited for shocking English *redface* 😔

Edited by - nickh7 on 28 Jul 2014 13:07:14

Edited by - nickh7 on 28 Jul 2014 13:07:54

Edited by - nickh7 on 28 Jul 2014 15:30:48