Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Brake Master Cylinder

Craig

I have been looking for a Caterham brake master cylinder with dual circuit brake lines (One for the front and one for the rear) to replace the single circuit Girling brake master cylinder on my 1962 Lotus Super 7.

I checked and found out that a Triumph Spitfire brake master cylinder looks to have the same mounting position and bolt position. However, there are two master cylinders that may work. The first one is for a 1967 to 1975 and more expensive than the 1976 to 1980 which appears to be slightly longer.

Has anyone have experience with either master cylinder???????

Please advise.

Thanks for looking.

Craig Straub

Hi Craig.

Well 75 views and no responses. Not like Tech Talk at all.

So here goes just to get the ball rolling, the M/C on my 1982 car is apparently from a Vauxhall Viva (Ugh )manufactured from 1963 to 1979, this is a twin circuit unit. Possibly available from

http://www.vauxhallgreenparts.co.uk

The number I have from the Tony Weale book on 7 restoration gives two numbers, for S3 live axle (dual circuit) 74-81, P/N 64068928, and S3 live axle (dual circuit) 81> 4222-404PT3 replaces 64068928.

I have no idea where these numbers relate to some main stream car brake components. Good old Lotus in other peoples parts bins.

Apparently the master cylinder bore was 5/8 inch from 1960 to the early '70s, however if your car has drum brakes at the front you may well have 3/4 inch M/C, (series 1 & 2).

What size bore is the Spitfire unit? this could affect the brake feel.

If you need a picture or 2 let me know and I'll head out to the garage with the camera.

Regards, Nigel.

Try Paul Hunt at PowerTrack Ltd Tel/fax (01753) 842680

"- Worldwide suppliers of obsolete Lockheed and Girling Brake/ Clutch Components

-British Car and Commercial vehicles 1930-1980"

Very knowledgeable and excellent service *thumbup*