Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Caterham R500 build - Friday is the day

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very nice, it will be even better when you have no wind noise from the mic.

Do you plan to fit a high level brake light, I would. *thumbup*

CBS do a neat 40 LED one that a lot of us use & caterham sell a sub loom so you can plug it straight it in. Still no guarantee that you won't be rear ended (as I found out recently *rolleyes*) but it gives that extra degree of safety.

Quoting Martin Jeffrey: 

CBS do a neat 40 LED one that a lot of us use & caterham sell a sub loom so you can plug it straight it in. Still no guarantee that you won't be rear ended (as I found out recently *rolleyes*) but it gives that extra degree of safety.

Yes that's for sure...

I'm watching this 51 LED light one on eBay... Plus I've got the clear indicator kits still to fit which also have LED bulbs too.

Quoting Roadracer1977: 
Quoting Martin Jeffrey: 

Yes that's for sure...

I'm watching this 51 LED light one on eBay... Plus I've got the clear indicator kits still to fit which also have LED bulbs too.

JJC is Demon Tweeks, we used those as brake lights on the R300's, 25 quid plus vat i think. The lifeline rain light looks best though - ring Dave Kumberley at Tweeks.

The best thing to fit though to protect against a rear end is a cage! Wouldn't drive a 7 without one. :)

Quoting Roger Ford: 
Quoting Roadracer1977: 
I'm watching this 51 LED light one on eBay...

Get it from Maplin for £11.99 instead. The JJC one may or may not include a resistor - you need to add a 18 or 22 ohm 3W resistor into the circuit with the Maplin one.

Yup, same one but without the FIA listing - lol.

Square one still looks best though ;)

Quoting James.S: 
Quoting Roger Ford: 
Quoting Roadracer1977: 
I'm watching this 51 LED light one on eBay...

Get it from Maplin for £11.99 instead. The JJC one may or may not include a resistor - you need to add a 18 or 22 ohm 3W resistor into the circuit with the Maplin one.

Yup, same one but without the FIA listing - lol.

Square one still looks best though ;)

I bought the one from Maplin, seems to be the same! Just need to have my car for long enough to fit it now!!! :-(

Quoting James.S: 

The best thing to fit though to protect against a rear end is a cage! Wouldn't drive a 7 without one. :)

Apart from the cage not protecting a rear end impact, there is very real danger with a cage (some more so than others) on the road unless one is prepared to wear a helmet all the time. I ve seen my video of how much and where your head moves in a 50 mph near head on impact.

Nice first blat videos *thumbup*

I will have to find other roads near to me for video purposes otherwise will be a bit boring to see the same ones, albeit slightly different interior and bonnet colour (and more hair!) *smile*

All going well I might have some time in the evenings next week for a little joint blat if you fancy?

Quoting Englishmaninwales: 
Quoting James.S: 

Apart from the cage not protecting a rear end impact, there is very real danger with a cage (some more so than others) on the road unless one is prepared to wear a helmet all the time. I ve seen my video of how much and where your head moves in a 50 mph near head on impact.

Yes it does. :)

I always wear a helmet. :)

I can show you how much a cage does to protect the driver in a 120mph,9g, rearward Armco visit. :)

Edited by - James.S on 10 Jun 2014 21:18:50

All comes back to how dangerous it is on the road again, I would never go out in a race without a full cage, six point harness, foam bag seat, full face helmet, full nomex, hans device and that is with all similar weight cars all going in the same direction, ok flat out but still far safer than the public highway with cars / trucks coming towards you with only the width of a 5" white line between you and them.

Quoting Silverback: 
All going well I might have some time in the evenings next week for a little joint blat if you fancy?
Yup - blatmail me and we can meet up *thumbup*

Edited by - Roadracer1977 on 10 Jun 2014 21:57:07

Quoting James.S: 
Quoting Englishmaninwales: 
Quoting James.S: 

Yes it does. :)

I always wear a helmet. :)

I can show you how much a cage does to protect the driver in a 120mph,9g, rearward Armco visit. :)

As I implied that's fine if you wear a helmet all the time whilst driving on the road. Many don't. That's my point. Of course in a rearward impact your head movement to some extent is restrained by your FIA head restraint and so is less likely to impact the cage compared to forward, upward or side deceleration (and of course it doesn't matter what you wear/cage/restraints/seat/HANS if the deceleration forces, regardless of direction, exceed the tolerability of your brainstem/cerebral hemispheres to the torsional/sheer forces).

*smile*

Edited by - James.S on 10 Jun 2014 21:18:50

Quoting Roadracer1977: 
Quoting Silverback: 
Yup - blatmail me and we can meet up *thumbup*

Edited by - Roadracer1977 on 10 Jun 2014 21:57:07

You have BM *smile*

If you'r worried about small light weight cars having no safety features, then why do you drive a Caterham and not something with air bags and crash protection *rolleyes*

If you add cages and other safety devices found on modern cars it makes the car heavy which kind of defeats the point 😬

Quoting steve m: 
If you'r worried about small light weight cars having no safety features, then why do you drive a Caterham and not something with air bags and crash protection *rolleyes*

If you add cages and other safety devices found on modern cars it makes the car heavy which kind of defeats the point 😬

I think you are missing the point. *smile*