Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Wind deflectors

What's the consensus on the wind deflectors? Would they at least keep the wind from setting up a venturi effect on one's nostrils and making it hard to breath?

BD,

If you bend the bottoms in by heating them in hot water, say, so that they stick out further than they do as standard, then you will find they work fine. Get the position right by fitting them, driving along and then moving them out till the turbulence stops/is acceptable.

IME, you will also need half sidescreens too, as there is wind blast from the rear wings. I use SBFS ones. But I find with both of those on, a baseball cap can still be worn no problem at whatever speed.

Edited by - Nick Green on 21 May 2014 08:45:03

Edited by - Nick Green on 21 May 2014 08:46:21

I have a pair of these stashed away in a cupboard in the garage, haven't found them very effective, however after reading some of the proceeding comments may drag them out and do some tweaking, but beware, wear some sort of eye protection, I sold my Brooklands screen as the number of aerial rocks here

it is not safe to use such a screen.

Nigel.

What are we talking about here? The 'WIMP' bolt-on side screens for windscreen users or the old Perspex full-width aeroscreen?

Both work (totally different applications, obviously) but positioning of the latter is critical (most place them too close to the driver - I certainly did for the short period I had one before building my own 'bubble' aero - and the former can change in effectiveness if you add/remove touring luggage to the rollbar!

Framerate,

I will have to admit, I didn't use boiling water. I stuck mine in the oven, on a low heat, till they started to go *just* soft enough... But you have to handle them carefully or it can all go very wobbly.

However, this topic came up last year and another poster on that thread said he did his using boiling water, which sounded like a better way of doing it. Which is why I suggested it above, though in my case it is an untested method.

Myles, this is about the wind deflectors which attach to the side of the windscreen in the sidescreen hinges. Nothing bolts on. WIMPS are something else again.

I switched the hinges of mine around , difficult to explain on paper, but the point was to leave a gap between the deflectors and the windscreen.

This is what BMW accessories ( Tobinators) use for the small windscreen on GS1200 nose fairings.

The point is to let airflow through as well as around and it stops the full Venturi effect.

Does it work, I think it helped but there was a negative, the lack of pressure allowed the wind deflectors to bounce a bit which indicates the effect ?

As I say difficult to explain re how to switch the hinges etc

Edited by - Alan Reeves on 21 May 2014 11:25:42

Edited by - Alan Reeves on 21 May 2014 11:26:20

Quoting FramerateUK: 
While we're on the subject, I could not get mine to bend at all after leaving them in boiling water. How did you go about doing it?

I have done it a few times now with boiling water. A big (lobster) pot of water on the stove brought to a rapid boil. Stick the bottom of the deflectors in and try to suspend them or hold them so the deflector is not resting on the bottom of the pot. Leave for 10-15 mins to soften in the rapidly boiling water. Then by hand gently push down on the deflector while in the boiling water against the base of the pot and it will slowly bend. Take your time and be patient while applying force - too firm and it will snap. Do a little bit at a time until you reach the curve you need. Once you have one done then do the other and match it to the first one.

Ideally you would also take off the little silicone bumpers at the end - I forgot and they disappeared..lol.

Several other previous threads on this in the archives, and as above the standard ones DO work well, IF modified.

I did the same as croc above, and found they had to be sticking out quite a lot more.

I had to mill out an extended slot around the hinges as the amount the needed to stick out meant that you couldn't quite slide them on/off the hinges.

You can easily test where they need to be, not only by the reduced buffeting effect when driving along holding them out at a greater angle, but also when you do so you can feel the air pressure against them increasing.

When in the 'off-the-shelf' position there is hardly any pressure at all, so it's not surprising they don't do anything *rolleyes* (same goes if they are bouncing).

• Area Representative
I have standard ones and noticed a big difference when 'bent' further out, however I do find they flap about a bit, tried crunching up the hinges a bit but not really solved it. Any ideas.