Click here if you are having website access problems ×

High Level Brake Light

callumskeat

That's why you also need the 22 ohm resistor, as shown on the RH side of the Maplin page.

Still maintains it's visibility on a bright day as its shrouded, but also extends the life of the LED array apparently.

The Maplin one and the resistor, is what I've had on my car for about 8 years now.

Callum,

It was interesting to note the number of cars on the recent Wightblat sporting High level brake lights.

Mine was a Halfords one for the rear parcel shelf on a little stand. This was just right to hang under the roll bar, secured by little plastic straps pulled tight with pliers and trimmed off. No problems for 5 years. It hangs about 2" below the roll bar and shines through the rear window with the hood up and clear plastic part of the half hood from Soft Bits for Sevens. I didn't bother to wire into any of the connectors and soldered it direct to the wiring connector inside the rear light where it is dry and free from corrosion. The earth is a wiring tag screwed to the metal frame in the front of the boot. It has been totally trouble free. I also fitted some Ring LED running lights each about 6" long vertically in the front grille wired to the ignition switch via an in line fuse. Some Wightblatters had managed to find little ones to fit under the front of the mudguards which looked very neat.

• 2 months later...

I thought I'd update this thread with my latest take on the high level brake light. :)

I used the led light from Maplin, bought some perspex, some waterproof connectors and a small wiring box and made a light to attach to the petty strut bolts at the top of the FIA bar. I originally had it placed in the middle of the "X" in the rollbar, but I found it was getting in my way a little, while I can't see this one out the back at all, and it's a bit higher which is always good!

It's also high enough to see over the Oxted boot bag but low enough to be seen through the little window in the half hood. I'm pretty pleased with the job I've done!

Image 1

Image 2

Image 3

Image 4

Image 5

Looks perfect, and will work a treat. Same as mine, although mines mounted on the X, and never had a problem *confused*

Anyway, more interested in what looks like an immaculate Moggie 1000 convertible parked next to the "lesser" vehicle 😬

I still can't believe, my old man scrapped our 1955 split screen, flip up indicator Moggie 1000 in about 1980, simply because it had sat in the garage for 10 years since the Kingpin on one side had broken, and was taking up space! If only we knew then, what we know now *rolleyes*

I just found it stuck out a little and hindered my already poor rear visibility! Not by much, but every little bit counts (it was mostly the angle of it to be honest). I mounted it higher so it would work with the bootbag since I was keen on using it while touring!

Ha, yes it's the in-laws garage. They've had the car for about 30 years and it was fully restored and repainted about 8 years ago. It even has red leather seats to match the hood. Lovely looking car :) It doesn't get out as much as it once did though!

I like it. I was looking at my Maplin light at the weekend trying to figure out how to mount it! Nice solution. Have you got any details for the plastic template, wiring (resistor location) and bolts used to secure the plastic mount?

Gregs

It hasn't been drilled, they already have mounting points for the petty strut.

The bolts were 50mm long from B&Q, with some washers to make the large enough not to fall through the holes (though, to be honest, I think I might need larger washers - time will tell!).

The resister is connected directly to the red wire from the LED, then into the loom from the car.

I did a cardboard jig initially with some spade connectors just to see if everything fitted and worked, you can see the size of the electronics box here:

Jig

I then glued the box to the back of the plastic holder, and fed the wires straight through into the box, the red passing through the resister. I then plugged them straight into some water proof connectors (these) for ease of connectivity. This will probably be version 1, if I find any issues with it, or if the plastic cracks or anything, then at least the connectors will make it an easy swap.

Luckily, my car already had the loom, but I had to replace both the spade connectors since they were horribly corroded since they'd be hanging down by the wheel for years. They're both well wrapped in electrical tape now, and tucked up higher up in the car.

I'll get some measurements for the backing plate, but always worth making a mock out of cardboard first since your hood or rollbar might be different to mine.

Edited by - FramerateUK on 29 Jun 2014 21:58:46