Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Wheel nuts

Z3MCJez

My Roadsport came with 2 part wheel nuts. The slopey bit being separate to the main part of the nut. Over time, the two have bonded together. I saw something suggesting this could be a problem, but apart from aesthetics (scratching the wheel when the nut is tightened) are there any other issues?

Jez

When this happened to mine I popped them in the ultrasonic cleaner and they came apart again. After a full clean I reused them with a trace of copper grease between the washer and the nut. I have had no problems since. I was careful to keep the grease off the contact face of the washer where it touches the wheel rim.

I can definitely get them apart again, if I want to - they're not bonded together firmly (although I'm impressed that you've got an ultrasonic cleaner classic1952!). What I'm not clear about is the benefit of having the wheel nut fall into two pieces when I take it off at the circuit!

Jez

I agree, the design is a pain in the proverbial, but being stuck with it we might as well make the best of it and minimise any damage to the paint on the rims! I keep a few spare washers in my emergency spares kit just in case.

The ultrasonic cleaner was about £20 from Maplins, on special offer at the time!!