Click here if you are having website access problems ×

multiple lights failing

siva

Finally have some (unintended) free time on my hands so i thought I'd investigate the problem with my failing fog-light.

I received this morning the invite to the technical checkup, so decided to check the other lights as well.

- the fog light does not work

- the left rear light does not work

- the right front indicator on the wing does not work (but it's not the bulb, because I switched them over and still nothing)

the rest seems fine but since I'm alone and no mirrors in the neighorhood, can't check the brake light and the fog light.

Anyway, I've got a feeling there may be some underlying reason, but how do you go about "debugging" something like this.

you can check the brake with a broom on the pedal wedged against the seat back

You will need the ignition on , sorry if this teaching you to suck eggs *redface*

I would start with corroded connections in the bulb housing then work back to the connection blocks

ok, think I have everything figured out, but not fixed yet.

front Right-wing indicator automagically started working again

left rear light the bulb was simply blown

fog light: the female connector has a loose wire. Are these fixable? if so any tips?

had the broom-on-the-pedal idea while scratching my head *tongue*

Off to the parts store for the replacement bulb (and some fuses since I blew one while testing 😳)

Quoting siva: 
front Right-wing indicator automagically started working again

Possibly a damaged / corroded connector or cable under the cycle wing. They're exposed to all the cack thrown up by the front wheel of course, including salt in winter that rarely gets washed off unless you specifically get the hose under there when you get home. And then you most likely soak your feet (or your wife standing nearby).

*nono*

Before I moved our wing repeaters into the headlight bowls, the front right had gone through randomly working/not-working* and progressed to permanent failure when the earth wire came adrift from its eyelet connector (connected to one of the wing retaining bolts). The left one wasn't far behind, and both of the light fittings were in pretty grotty condition also.

Take a look underneath, then don't be surprised if you touch the earth wire and it breaks off the connector...

Hope this helps!

*Cue the old joke:

"Are my indicators working?"

"Yes... no... yes... no..."

Edited by - AntonyH on 17 Feb 2014 18:54:49