Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Corrosion prevention.

DJ.

I would like your opinions on what I should do *smile*

I have read about grot traps and when I built my Seven 3 years ago I sprayed dinitrol every where I could and covered over the traps by the foot wells. The powder coating and chassis looks in good order, but when I hit some standing water a couple of months ago, the car got a good soaking and red rusty water appeared in the foot wells.

So, I am considering removing the interior panels, spraying inside the side skins and injecting dinitrol into the chassis tubes.

However, this is a major job and I keep thinking, am I being paranoid. After all there are many Sevens out there with open grot traps and they don't seem to need a reskin for going on 20 years!

Also does anyone know if it is possible to remove the side impact protection from inside a metric chassis Seven, because if it isn't I'm probably wasting my time anyway.

Thanks for your advice *smile*

Duncan

It seems a bit drastic drilling out all those rivets Duncan. *eek*

Do you ever put the car away when it's still wet, perhaps after washing it? Mine often gets put away dirty sometimes even filthy 😳 if I don't have the time or the weather isn't right to thoroughly dry it out.

Better to put away a dry dirty car than a wet clean as they start to corrode in a cold damp garage. I know you have an air chamber but I suppose the sea air doesn't help.

I also spray WD40 liberally about.

Thanks Dave, I think I might remove a few of the rivets in the lower tubes and see what comes out.

It seems a bit drastic drilling out all those rivets Duncan. *eek*

I know Martin, it isn't a job I fancy doing!

My car doesn't get washed as much as it should, but when it does go into the garage wet, I leave the Airchamber door open and the fans on until it dries out.

Best to just keep on enjoying driving it I think *smile*