Click here if you are having website access problems ×

MAP sensor

An auto electrical engineer was surprised to find the MAP sensor vacuum pipe on my 150 Sigma engine was capped off but was still connected electrically. The car runs fine and has been inspected by Caterham post build. Can anyone explain the reason behind this?

Thanks

Pete

It's my understanding that the MAP sensor information was removed from the latest ECU maps for the 150, so a am not suprised by your configuration. I suspect it was easier to leave the redundant sensor in the loom instead of creating a new engine loom.

Edited by - ChrisC on 30 Nov 2013 08:16:16

I understand the ECU does not use any information on manifold pressure, only throttle position, after the final changes made for drivability.

These being

Change in throttle quadrant (larger)

Map change

Remove MAP Sensor

Stronger throttle return spring

Changes to cam belt tensioner

Hi,

the map sensor (if still connected) or a internal pressure sensor in the ECU can also measure the barometric pressure to correct the fuel mapping for high altitude.

It is a matter of the ECU map to change the sensor inputs from MAP to barometric correction.

Edited by - geko on 30 Nov 2013 21:42:45

• 7 months later...

The fuel is calculated by the tps / engine speed, there are then correction factors applied relating to engine coolant temp, air intake temp, alternator voltage, barometric pressure (map sensor) Lambda under certain conditions.

As far as I can tell the map sensor is used in certain Vauxhalls and Volvos

They can be got from eBay cheaply but a check with Easimap is useful to confirm they are giving the right output.

Edited by - John Hughes on 24 Jul 2014 20:29:48