Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Another garage roof question

davedlr

My garage is essentially a big wooden shed with double doors on the front. (It's a good fit for the 7)

When the shed was built I lined the walls with plastic sheeting, put in glass wool insulation then covered over with plyboard.

I left the roof alone, and being shed construction there are small gaps between the shed and the walls.

the issue that I have is that damp seems to spread up the inside of the roof from these gaps where the roof meets the side walls, at about 6 points . I don't know if the gaps are the root cause, the roofing felt seems in good order, the only place there could be any ingress is the staples that were used to attach the felt to the roof panels.

Any tips on preventing this damp in the roof? Its starting to warp the boards that make up the roof and go an unsightly black....

Edited by - davedlr on 11 Nov 2013 11:23:40

I wouldn't have thought that plastic sheeting directly on the inside of the wood walls was a good idea - it will slow drying of the outside wood and also allow capillary action to be going on.

Better to put studding then plastic, then glass, then ply. Or even the f/glass insulation against the wet wood, as it doesn't wick.

HTH - Simon