Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Inlet manifold gasket question

Bob L

I’m about to change the inlet manifold gasket on a 1.8 K series. I have the Viton uprated item. It looks straight forward but wondering just how many of the ancillaries I really need to disconnect to replace the leaky item. Is there enough movement in the flexi pipes etc just to unbolt and swap or am I being overly optimistic? I appreciate I have to drain down first.

Should be plenty of slack to just undo the manifold bolts and pull away enough to remove/replace the gasket.

You will probably have to snip some cable ties to get the required slack, though.

If it's the plastic manifold, then the rubber gasket should come off cleanly.

If TBs or metal manifold, make sure all the old gasket is removed and any corrosion around the water outlet is cleaned up.

I wouldn't bother draining down, just top-up and re-bleed afterwards. It won't matter if the gasket gets a bit wet when refitting.

It can be a bit of a faff getting it off at the front where the dipstick tube can get in the way.

Some of the viton seals were made around 1 mm thinner than they should have been leading to leakage, these were supplied as SLP (service line parts ) by Rover and quite a few of these are held as new old stock at various places. Make sure your gasket is at least 5.3mm thick.

Oily

Edited by - oilyhands on 7 Nov 2013 16:36:08