Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Wanted: Loan of Tap Set

BigCol

Having taken the plunge and ordered a pair of Spa mirrors and decided (contrary to a post elsewhere) to mount them on the windscreen stanchions by drilling and tapping a second mounting hole, I need an appropriate tap.

In 30+ years of pottering in the garage, DIY etc this is the first time I've needed such a thing so am loathed to buy a set to thread two holes!

So could some kind soul near West London provide me a set temporarily; either for the price of a pint or an equivalent contribution to NtL?

Cheers! *thumbup*

Not sure of the size but seem to recall reading elsewhere that the existing hole (where the IVA mirror mounts) is an M5, so I'd drill/tap a second one the same size (that said, think I have also read of people enlarging them to M6 for a bit more strength)

So, rather than posting a whole set, if I could borrow both M5 and M6 taps and the wrench, that'd be great.

As you say, unless someone closer can help!

Aha ...... the two hole flange type .... I put mine on with M5 ...... then changed to M6. M5 is a bit too fine and lightweight. Have you got some M6-10 black countersunk socket screws ? You need to check they won't protrude inside stanchion once fitted ...... cut down thread if necessary. Use loctite on thread too.

Thinking about it, I reckon it was your comment about enlarging from M5 to M6 and it was certainly your pictures that you posted years ago that convinced me that this would be the neatest installation!

I'll take your advice and go for the meatier fixing.

Haven't bought the screws yet (wasn't sure whether would need M5 or M6). Don't suppose you have some spares I could ponce? *smile* If not, there're reasonably priced items available online.