Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Fuel Gauge Stopped Working

tangomikeromeo

Out for a few errands this evening. 1/2 tank outside the garage, about where I left it, ten minutes later it's just above the red line.

The drive has a slope and I wasn't paying that much attention so stop off at local petrol purveyor. 24 litres and it clicks off. That'll be full then. But gauge says 1/3.

So what's the list of suspects?

Fuel sender? Senders seem to get the blame for everything else but not when I searched the wisdom on here.

I've done no more than repark in the garage so not chased down the other Usual Suspect 'dodgy earth' so any advice and guidance would be welcome.

Quoting TangoMikeRomeo: 
Out for a few errands this evening. 1/2 tank outside the garage, about where I left it, ten minutes later it's just above the red line.

The drive has a slope and I wasn't paying that much attention so stop off at local petrol purveyor. 24 litres and it clicks off. That'll be full then. But gauge says 1/3.

So what's the list of suspects?

Fuel sender? Senders seem to get the blame for everything else but not when I searched the wisdom on here.

I've done no more than repark in the garage so not chased down the other Usual Suspect 'dodgy earth' so any advice and guidance would be welcome.

The only bits I know how to test are as follows:

To check the sender, remove it and use a multi meter to measure the resistance as you move the float. Check the values against what they should be and check it works smoothly.

Also, check the voltage at the sender's location, to confirm that the gauge is putting out the correct voltage 'signal'.

Short the wires from the sender o check that the gauge reads max, or min, and disconnect them to check gauge reads min, or max. The polarity of the gauge will dictate how it behaves, hence the max/min comments.

Edited by - keybaud on 5 Jul 2013 21:41:59