Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Rare Opportunity - Blydenstein Converted Vauxhall 8v Cylinder Head

Mark Gibson

I am posting this on behalf of a friend in the Caterham Graduates series:

"Hello,

You might have seen my ad for an uprated camshaft and pulley a couple of weeks ago.

I sent the rest of the engine to McMillan Motorsport in Hinckley for inspection, refreshing and re-assembling but they have identified that the cylinder head, too, is non-standard and that it has been fettled by the legendary Bill Blydenstein at some point.

Anyone who knows about Bill will know that he had a long history of top-notch Vauxhall cylinder head work right up until he passed away in 2007. This conversion was fairly popular and quite well documented on Blatchat if you search the archives… I believe the power increase is typically quoted at 25-30bhp. The work involved fitting enlarged valves with waisted stems, flowing the valve seats and inlet tracts and re-assembling the head with Kent uprated camshaft, valve springs and camshaft pulley.

As much as I’d love to experience and enjoy this upgrade on my own 1.6 8v race car, I think my competitors and championship regulations might prefer I didn’t!

For this reason the entire top end is now for sale, including;

-Complete cylinder head assembly (Blydenstein modified with big valves and kent springs, fully assembled with lifters and rockers)

-Camshaft housing with Kent uprated camshaft and vernier pulley

This conversion would have cost around £1,200 several years ago, and since Bill is no longer with us you couldn’t have the same work carried out now for love nor money.

I need a quick sale and a standard cylinder head so I’m asking £425 with possible part-ex for your standard top end."

Send me a blatmail if you are interested and I will put you in touch.

Mark

• 2 weeks later...