Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Anyone else keep scraping their knuckles on the dash?

revilla

Keep taking the skin off my left index finger knuckle on the sharp edge of the bottom of the dash where it is turned in under the chassis rail when changing gear!

It not that the gap between the gear knob and the dash is particularly tight, more that it's just close enough that the angle I seem to hold my hand at when gripping it just lines my knuckle up on the panel edge. The edge of the metal is bl**dy sharp. I think a bit of attention with a small file is in order to take the bite out of it.

I was thinking of just putting a length of plastic tape over it. It would be pretty much invisible being under the chassis rail, but unless someone can recommend some kind of tape that stands a chance of staying put on a pretty permanent basis when my knuckle rubs it, I think filing it sounds more promising.

Anyone else have the same problem and anyone come up with a better solution?

Aha! Do I spy a serious suggestion hidden somewhere amongst the p*ss-taking?

I believe I have the straight gear lever. What is the angled one like (please, if anyone says "bent" I'll have to move this to "Shining Wit")? Would it move the gear knob significantly further back away from the dash? If so, might be worth thinking about thanks.

If you have the Quaife/Caterham rose-jointed gear stick in the "normal" position, you can switch it to the "quick" position to shorten the throw and avoid fist/dash interface. You could also try drilling the hole the gear knob a little deeper or cutting/modifying the shaft down to sit the gear knob lower.

I did all of the above as well as fit a Quaife nylon knob, which is lighter than a Caterham alloy knob, shorter and gives a few mm of extra room to prevent dashboard boshing when reaching for 3rd or 5th.

I found the standard gearlever was a bit short, so made one with a 45 degree bend to move the knob up and forwards and inch or so.

If the standard knob is screwed right down the thread there should be masses of clearance.

Have you tried loosening the locking grub screw and just winding it down the thread until it stops?

Duncan

Quite so, it is always better to palm your knob from the side. For the 1st -2nd change or 2nd - 1st, twist the palm around so it is facing the nearside of the car, and either pull back with hooked fingers or push forward with the heel of the hand.

for 2nd - 3rd cup your knob with the palm facing your body and push forward with the heel of your hand, 4th - 5th cup knob with palm facing towards you and pull back etc etc etc.

The idea is to always have hand pressure in the plane in which your knob is traveling.

It's not rocket science but it's amazing how few people do it.