Click here if you are having website access problems ×

DeDion tube bent?

LesG

Hi all,

been out sprinting today at Teesside Autodrome, had a cracking day weather-wise, and improved on last year's time by over a second! *thumbup*

Trouble is; I noticed my driver's rear wheel sitting at a more pronounced negative camber angle than the passenger side. Looking under the car I couldn't see anything loose, and there were no obvious cracks in the tube?

I've been out and about on the public roads recently, but don't remember crashing in any potholes, and although I was riding the kerbs today, again, there weren't any bumps that made me go 'Ow!', so I'm hoping for some suggestions please? 😬

• Area Representative

It could be a bent ear, I would check this first, after checking all bolts are tight. I had a bent ear when I bought my car and in the end the de dion was bent as well, so replaced both.

Nick

Not sure how I'll be able to check the ear for bentness, but looks like it's back on the axle stands and in bits again ☹️

but I suppose it'll make me upgrade my solid brakelines to the rear calipers for braided lines 😬

and I do have a spare DD tube; just hope that it's straight......... *thumbup*

Ian, my car has 'through the tube' damper mounts, so hopefully not cracked, but I'm going to take it out and check thoroughly; my next hillclimb is June 15 so better get my finger out aswell.

Nick, cheers *thumbup*

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, time for an update;

I set to jacking rear of car up, undoing all the nuts, bolts etc. to enable removal of DD tube, then realised my garage isn't wide enough to slide tube out of either side of chassis! 😳

So, I checked ears out for bendage/warpage, and they seemed fine, so I linished them to ensure flat faces both sides, and did the same to the alloy crud-preventers, reassembled and measured cambers.

After several trial-and-error attempts, and an 11-thou shim (feeler blade) on the passenger side, and a 35-thou shim on the driver side, I now have 1 1/2 degrees neg. camber both sides.

Cheers to those who offered help. *thumbup*

Tomorrow it's increase the front caster! 😬

I've had a cracked De dion tube , its not pleasent ! Was told by Dartford - wear and tear/age etc. Anyway after nearly going off the road I ordered another and without much difficulty put the new slightly updated one on ! *eek* Suppose 1991 - 2013 is a fair run for strains including upping power from original 175bhp !

Edited by - combine on 9 Jun 2013 07:02:54