Click here if you are having website access problems ×

ECU Woes

Nigel Meylan

Got problems with my Vauxhall 1.6 litre 8 valve. Turns out that my MBE 956i ECU is toast... ☹️ Spoke to Caterham who said they could order one in through SBD Motorsport. Gave them a call but they told me it had been replaced by a 9A4i unit that would also need a new loom. Should I try and source a replacement for my old unit, or go for the updated option and fit a new loom ? How difficult is that ? Can anyone out there give me some advice, it would be much appreciated.

I have my MBE 967i and loom that I don't need anymore, as I've changed my C20XE from carbs to throttle bodies. I've also got the serial cable, manual, etc, but I don't know if you can swap maps between them.

Let me know if they are of use to you.

I'd try to source a second hand 956 if possible. I've just looked on Ebay but there's nothing listed. If time's a problem then it will have to be a new unit and loom. 95% of the wiring on a new loom will be plug in and replace the already plugged in connectors you have. The rest will be fairly simple, a power feed an earth and that's about it.

Good luck

how badly damaged is your original? Caught fire? water damage? or just component damage?

It may be possible to fix it.

Ive seen some pretty badly damaged ECUs in my line of work and had many of them fixed.

Quoting sparky**: 
how badly damaged is your original? Caught fire? water damage? or just component damage?

It may be possible to fix it.

Ive seen some pretty badly damaged ECUs in my line of work and had many of them fixed.

Already sent if to a testing/repair company. They said it's totally burnt out.

Used ECU Testing in Derbyshire. To be fair to them, they called me today to break the bad news, and said they wouldn't charge me the testing fee, just the return postage.

Haven't got pics of the damage, the unit looked ok on the outside. It actually packed up on me on the Fish & Chip run, in a cloud of smoke from the unit. My first blat, and it ended on the back of a low loader. I was gutted !

No reason at all.

Provided the map can be swapped straight over it would be an excellent solution. If it has to be remapped on a rolling road it gets a bit more expensive but undoubtedly still cheaper than a new one

*wavey*

Quoting ECR: 
No reason at all.

Provided the map can be swapped straight over it would be an excellent solution. If it has to be remapped on a rolling road it gets a bit more expensive but undoubtedly still cheaper than a new one

*wavey*

Unless he has a spare copy of his old map, he'll have to have a remap, because the current ecu is dead.

there was a similar discussion on this topic in the past few weeks. It is quite practicable to modify and use the exisitng 956 loom with a 9A4, ignition only or full injection setup. You just need the new connector from SBD, a table of pinouts and several hours of concentrated rewiring of the connector. If I was nearer to the Midlands I'd happily do it for you, should you be unable to get a replacement of the same type. If you need to have a rolling road session to map the unit from scratch I think I'd seriously consider buying an uptodate ECU as you could find yourself in the same boat again if you stick with the old type and the incremental cost if you modify the loom wouldn't be that great.

Paul