Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Xflow questions/problems

RossCarmichael

Hello all,

I just had a worrying blat where I think the car is either mis-firing or missing a cylinder (perhaps through overheating, although it didn't show on the gauge if it was).

My questions to the knowledgable members of blatchat (well, to all of you really!) are:

1. After 1.5hrs driving a J-reg cross flow, would you expect the fan to be running if you parked up, turned the engine off and then switched the ignition straight back on again?

2. We took 20 secs of camera phone video footage (it doesn't sound pleasant), but i'm not sure how to share this with people, apart from email...any suggestions? I was also thinking I might get the car out to a local meet and see if people could comment further when hearing it live!

3. Apart from relying on your knowledge, I guess I should also contact a mechanic...I have been using James Whiting, but have just moved down to Sevenoaks so suggestions for people closer would be appreciated.

Thanks everyone,

Ross

Can't help with the diagnosis but you are pretty close to Redline in Caterham (Grahame Of 7 Indulgence in Meopham has stopped the car business now and don't think Jon is looking for new Seven customers - mainly doing moderns)

Bob

• Area Representative

Hi Ross, you're not far from Penshurst so bring the car to the Kentish Weald meet tomorrow night (16th April). A few of us have crossflow experience but more importantly, the AR is a pro. He gets his hands dirty on cars too :)

Cruds

Ross,

As Crudders says Richard Young is your man.

Automotive Engineering is his business based in Uckfield.

Always take ginger nuts!

X-flow misfire will most likely be ignition, arcing crud on distributor cap contacts/rotor arm, failing condenser, dodgy plug lead/cap are all typical.

More general down on power I woudl look at carbs/fuel pressure/pump.

Looks like a nice evening for a Blat to the Spotted Dog, shame my car is still pieces!

Phil

Car ran fine today on the way to Penshurst. The collective thought was perhaps some bad/stale fuel from not much running that cleared up when I refilled before tonight's journey.

Good to meet some of he members this evening and looking forward to next months outing!

Will post back if it reoccurs but for now all is good...

Thanks all,

Ross