Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Wire Wheels

Tony C

I used to have an MGB roadster and looked into a V8 conversion. All the people in the "know" I asked said to avoid wire wheels once power increases as they deform under braking too much and if not equalised accross all spokes equally then one spoke will fail, then the next, then the next, etc etc. In MG news there were reports of this happening.

I used to have an MGB roadster and looked into a V8 conversion. All the people in the "know" I asked said to avoid wire wheels once power increases as they deform under braking too much and if not equalised accross all spokes equally then one spoke will fail, then the next, then the next, etc etc. In MG news there were reports of this happening.

I've seen a picture of a modern one on 13" wires and it didn't really look right IMHO.

The S1 Lotii on 15 or 16" skinny things like the recent LF cover look stunning tho. *thumbup*

Mark

☹️ My Caterham Silver Jubilee No. 7 is for sale ☹️

I suspected there would be solid technical reasons for them not being a good idea - pity though, they do add a nice 'look' to certain cars.

One of the guys where I work has a Morgan with wire wheels - sigh!

I had them on my MGC - now there was a poor excuse for a car

TFC

Hi

ISTR that wires weigh more than alloys, and have a degree of "flexibility" - neither of which could be considered desirable.

Another aspect to consider is I believe that with wires you need to use tubes. More weight, (though not much and the excitiment of rapid deflation in the event of a puncture *eek*

John Gathard