Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Duratec Block Casting

2GBR

Just asking those who have Duratec knowledge or have a dry sump Duratec install in a series 3 chassis, Which block lug/casting features are totally reduntant and can be milled away. Block is bare and sitting on the bench so can have a fair idea of the internal view of the lug/casting feature

Surely you need to state what side your alternator is secured, what type of DS system and what side that is secured, also idler pulley location and whether your retaining factory water pump arrangement?

There are many installations on the market for the Duratec to suit an S3, personally I would not chop any of it off *wink*

Edited by - Pendennis on 18 Feb 2013 10:48:53

I would have thought that depends what dry sump and alternator you have. If you have an external pump and if the alternator is on the left or the right. Personally I would bolt all these on and check for yourself.

There are some lugs that are not used at all. I had an old damaged block marked so I could take them off but that went off to the tip. Customers didn't seem to want to pay extra to have the lugs removed on a milling machine so I have never done it. I have always intended to do this to my own engine. If it needs to come out at some stage I will give it a go. You could do some of it with a hacksaw and file. Doubt you will save that much weight but it all helps.

Comments all taken on board, Ok then a clean slate,all items above are to be purchased,Engine may be in the 275bhp area and built primarily for race use only,So dry sump system,Alt,Idler,W pump etc. What layout/location is used and any technical reasons why please

Just used my hacksaw and drill to remove most of the ones on the right hand side, still more to remove when I get my engine mounts that pickup on two holes.

I need most of the left side for starter, alt, engine mount and idler, got quite a handfull so far. front cover will have some to remove from the fwd mounting, and cam cover will have the high breather side cut of as well.

I plan to use the raceline dry sump one day.

I was going to use the milling m/c, hacksaw faster and will use flap wheel sanding disc next.

Will be about 2kg less and look better, a bit too 🙆🏻 for some.

Chris.