Click here if you are having website access problems ×

spigot bearing

grahamholdstock

Have got my 1.6k engine out to replace crank oil seal which is done.

Whilst researching I read on blatchat that replacing the spigot bearing is a good idea while it is out so i attempted to replace yesterday. This turned into a major battle taking some time and now have some slight damage to the sleeve mainly around the edge and some rough bits inside that I was going to gently grind smooth again before installing the new bearing.

Looks to me that there is sufficient sleeve to proceed but if anyone thinks that is too risky could you give me a clue how to remove the sleeve please!! Many thanks Graham Holdstock

Hi Graham,

Do you mean damage to this sleeve - here

If so, we (Wilts South guys) have always managed to competely destroy them after a fight removing the bearing, therefore have always used a new one. Its purpose is just to provide a tight fit for the Ford bearing going into the end of the larger Rover crank, so as long as it does this and you have a new bearing I wouldn't worry. If at all worried just buy a new one from Caterham or Redline (I carry a spare if both are out of stock). *smile*

As Dave says, replace the sleeve with the bearing. I've never managed to get the bearing out without destroying the sleeve. And if you've got the bearing out, the sleeve is the easy bit in comparison - just distort it enough so it's not completely round anymore and pull it out *smile*

Technique we use is lightly sand the outer edges of the sleeve first, to help it go into the crank recess and to help the bearing slide in.

Use a copper mallet and gently tap the sleeve in about a 1/4 of the way in, then gently tap the bearing into the sleeve. Just take your time and make sure it goes in square at all times and both sleeve and bearing will end up flush. Sometimes having a second pair of eyes is handy as they can see that both sleeve and bearing are going in straight and that you are hitting it with the hammer square on. *smile*