Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Rollcage installation

TomGaval

I am seriously considering upgrading to a full rollcage and have a question regarding installation. I currently have a tall FIA bar and Petty strut. The Car is a 2000 Superlight with a dedion rear. I just checked and while I do have the bushes for the petty strut on both sides of the car, I do not have the forward bushes that are used on the SLR Type cage with the curved top bars.

I assume the Roadsports type cage would fit without any modifications, is that correct?

Secondly, are their any benefits to the SLR type cage, i.e, better accessability, etc.

Is it possible to mount the SLR type cage without installing the bushes, i.e, just bolting it in?

Lastly, how hard is it to have the bushes installed?

Tom

But that's the way their rectro fitted to imperial chassis, however if I was building new imperial chassis kit I'd weld them in *thumbup*

I would expect that all metric chassis have them welded during fabrication which is nice 😶‍🌫️

I doubt you would notice any difference in chassis rigidity without them welded due to their location

Ian

DO NOT DRILL HOLES IN THE CHASSIS!!!! That isn't how the SLR cage is fixed - it would seriously impair the chassis strength. Some cars have the bushes already installed, some don't. Mine is a 2000 super light chassis and had the bushes at the front (which I used for the Petty strut on the passenger side) but not the ones near the drivers elbow. For some years I installed my cage using only the forward mounts on the basis that it was far better than the FIA bar. This year though I decided to do it properly and Arch braised the bushes in place for me. Only took about a couple of hours and you wouldn't know from the outside that it had been modified. Very easy job.

I would use an SLR cage (again) because access is much easier, especially if you are tall (as I am guessing you are if you have a tall FIA bar)

Ok, Keith, so how do you braze in the bushes without drilling holes?

(PS, you once gave me a ride in your yellow r500 at Cadwell Park. I remember vividly my helmet boucning off the seat/rollbar with each violent shift 😬) Between You, Roger and Alex, I had some great laps.

Tom

I think all the roadsport cages fit without any mods using the forward petty strut bosses in the chassis, these were not in both sides in my chassis (1992). I had the earliest type of the roadsport cage and the room was limited with helmet tapping a regular occurance with tillets but no lowered floor. It did however mean i could use the doors and windscreen together with the hood.

I decided to go for the SLR cage, looked around for a second hand one but none were available. so went for a new caged one.

The early Safety Devices SLR cage uses a front bracket that fits onto the scuttle mounting bolts ahead of the petty bush, this type bolts through the scuttle and not the chassis.

the caged rollcage does require holes in the chassis rail forward of the petty strut bush. I looked at quite a few cars competing and there were a good number that had the holes drilled and either had the bracket with bushes fitted, as in your pic , or sleeves in the holes and bolt from the outside of the car with nut inside the car. some of these had been professionally fitted.

I decided to do the work myself as you can see and weld in the bosses, this i did for a number of reasons, to close the chassis in this area to prevent water ingress and also i felt that the rail strength was compromised without welding in the bosses. i feel though the best way is to have the job done is to have them brazed in at Arch.

with the SLr cage fitted there is much more room, i now have lowered floors, full doors dont fit and although the screen doese go on it isnt the done thing *tongue*.

I remember it well Tom.

To fit mine, I fitted the roll cage as far as I could. Arch removed the inner panels and inserted a bolt through mounting point in the roll cage and attached the sleeve from the inside. They then TIG welded it in place, checked that the bolt would unscrew and screw in again before attaching the inner trim panels again