Click here if you are having website access problems ×

High Level Brake Light - One More Time

juleslid

I've read all the wise words on the forum, and am already the proud owner of Caterham's wiring kit to help with this bit of my winter project list. Hoping it makes sense when I get beneath the car!

Just left with one question; I want the light to be seen with my half-a-hood on, so a strip of LEDs on the back of the top of the rollover bar would not work.

So is the consensus to buy a deeper light unit ( from the likes of CBS) to strap beneath the top of the rollover bar?

Or has the option of a wet race light attached to the crosspoint of the rollover bar worked well for anybody? Are these things MOT-friendly?

Thanks in anticipation...

Jules

Ps 2010 Roadsport SV

got my strip led mounted on 2 pipe clips that then just clip onto roll bar, work well with the half hood and can be rotated around the bar to any height, can also be removed without leaving any holes or marks. didn't use the wiring harness, just wired direct to rear light cluster and works great, no issue with mot time *wavey*

Chaps, thanks so much for the quick response.

Mike, your solution looks neat. How did you attach that SVC light to the underside of the rollover bar? And did you use a resistor? If so, am guessing you wire it in series somewhere out of the way?

Dave, sorry, couldn't open your picture.

Cheers,

Jules

Use the CC sub loom to connect easily between the two halves of the plug between the fuel tank and the offside wheelarch. Run the cable up through the boot floor by the fuel filler. Run the cable from the brake light down the back of the right hand brace bar to the roll bar - hiding it under black insulating tape. Keeps it secure and hidden.

Do not drill the roll bar.

Edited by - Stationary M25 Traveller on 6 Dec 2012 15:41:37

Quoting juleslid: 
Chaps, thanks so much for the quick response.

Mike, your solution looks neat. How did you attach that SVC light to the underside of the rollover bar? And did you use a resistor? If so, am guessing you wire it in series somewhere out of the way?

Dave, sorry, couldn't open your picture.

Cheers,

Jules

Originally I stuck it on using powerful double-sided tape, but after a few months I decided that wasn't good enough and I drilled a 2mm hole in the roll bar and fitted a self-tapping screw at each end. I really don't think this has compromised the structural integrity of the roll bar - If I crash the Seven, I think the four mounting points for the roll bar will break well before the tube itself buckles.

There's no need for a separate resistor - it is internal. The lamp is designed for 12V operation.

Cheers

Mike

I have an LED light from CBS here, mounted across the X of the roll bar using a couple of p-clips. Looks great IMO and keeps the space just under the roll bar clear which I like to look through with the RVM.

My 2011 SV came with spade connectors down at the rear right corner to connect it. No need to spend money on a sub-loom if you have those *smile*.

My (dirty 😳) one is here (could probably do without the cable ties as there is double sided tape between the foam and the bar - or you could dremel out a curve in the plastic mounting 'legs' of the light to match the roll bar radius) :

here

and cable hole into underside of rollbar

here

It exits through a hole in the base plate into the boot.

You need to make your own mind about whether to drill the roll bar or not.

In my view a 3mm hole in the underside at the top and a 10mm hole in the base plate on one side, won't make a significant difference it I am unfortunate enough to need the roll bar to a significant degree.

Edited by - Ian B on 10 Dec 2012 11:41:56