Click here if you are having website access problems ×

New fuel pump?

Colwise

Hi all,

Just bought a Caterham 7 1993 - 1700x flow with twin webers. having picked the car up with great excitement & trepidation I set off only to come to a coughing & spluttering halt just 4 miles later!

After flattening the battery trying to restart, the car was jump started & ran absolutely fine for about another 4 miles. Again flattened battery, again jump start, again coughing & spluttering to a halt. Seems like fuel starvation to me. Tank was very low on fuel, before fill up, but fuel filter was clean - although not full of fuel as I would have expected. Anyone else encountered this problem? Do I just need to fit a new fuel pump?

Cheers Colwise

This may seem to be obvious (so apologise up front) - have you tried filling the tank up - the level may simply be very low on the pickup. When you stop it pulls in just enough for a few miles - then you run out of fuel and it repeats.

I believe that you have a split in the fuel hose from the tank to the carbs, probably before the fuel filter. I was almost ready to order a new fuel pump when I found the problem.

it happened to me.

On Thursday at the Ypres Lotus Day fuel starvation problems reared their ugly head on the third stage. I diagnosed that the electric fuel pump was on the way out and it appeared to be heat related. We got recovered home.

I put the car up on axle stands and had a good look underneath. All appeared in order. Then I noticed that the fuel hose to the fuel pump inlet looked very slightly darker (possibly damp). I poked the hose with my finger and got a fine spray of petrol back. The hose was split and must have been sucking in air. Fuel/air mix made for a noisy fuel pump and fuel starvation at higher revs. Once stopped the carburettor bowls would refill and the engine would run again for a while.

Thanks for the replies -

Lavena, your answer is just what I first thought, but after filling up with fuel the problem was just the same!

Clousta, this sounds like the answer. When I get back to my car (it's 200 miles away at the moment)

I'll be checking the fuel hose. Many thanks.

Colwise

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for answers. Sorry took a while to get back as car is garaged 180 miles away!

Car was runnin at idle speed for 20 minutes with no problems!

Keybaud - can't say I heard any sucking sound

John g - fuel pump is a Facet electric & definitely working