Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Starter motor turning on battery master switch

Ade Ray

I've obviously done something but I'm not sure what!

Took the starter motor off my 1600 xflow to clean the bendix and hopefully cure the starting problem. When I came to refit the starter I reconnected the +ve cable and the wire running from the alternator. All seemed well but when i turned the battery master key prior to starting the car, the starter motor started turning over by itself.

Can anyone tell me what I've done?

Ade *confused*

Make the world a better place, hug an estate agent

Ade

I assume it's a pre engaged type with a solenoid, it sounds like you've connected the +VE or/ and Alternator cables to the wrong large terminal on the Solenoid. To explain, the starter has a permanent live to the solenoid, when you turn the key or hit the starter button it sends a signal down the small wire to the Solenoid which caused the piston inside to pull back engaging the cog on to the flywheel and at the same time joining the two large connectors together internally by way of a bridge.

If you connect the +VE directly to the connector that also has a wire going into the main Starter body then in effect you have short circuited the Solenoid and you will see the symptoms you describe

Mark

Hi Mark

Thinking back to my putting everything back together, I dont think I put things on the wrong terminal, but it is possible that as I was tightening the +ve nut the cable could have been pulled around and into contact with the solenoid to starter connection. I'll check this as soon as I get home.

Many thanks

Ade *biggrin*

Good call Mark

Although the wires were connected to the right terminals, a loosen of the +ve terminal nut, a twist around and a re-tighten of the nut did the trick. The +ve did not seem to be touching anything else but it was probably close enough to matter.

My starter motor clean up has produced better results with the bendix more willing to chuck out but not perfect. I think a full strip down and clean of the starter tomorrow is in order.

Thanks for advice

Ade *thumbup*