Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Nitron seizure, damaged DeDion

peter clarke

Made a lot of short trips in the last few months so do not know when this started to happen. I noticed in a recent long trip that suspension was poor and tracked it down to the rear left suspension having virtually no movement at all. Adjusting the Nitron damper changed nothing, and the adjustment did not "click" anymore, just went round with almost no feel to the adjustment positions, So took both rears off and found the location for the rear left damper was partially torn off, not at the weld but the DeDion tube itself was partially torn away. S3 with 225 lb inch fronts and 140lb inch rears, set up about 6 years old and was always good until now.

Anyone any similar experience?

• 4 weeks later...
To put the record straight I have found out that the Nitron damper was NOT siezed. I initially put my old Bilsteins on when replaced the De Dion and later took springs off the Nitrons to check them. Both rear dampers I check out to be fine so presume that due to the damaged bottom damper mounting on the tube, being at a significant angle, this put a very high side load, bending force, on the damper and caused strong stiction so could not slide up and down so could not function correctly. Nitrons will go back on today as the unadjustable Billys are not to my liking!