Click here if you are having website access problems ×

CSR style front wings

Fishy Dave

"Custom made wing stays" sound expensive, Fishy Dave. How much were your recently purchased "race wing stays", where from etc.? It could have a bearing on whether it's a thumbs up or down from me. I appreciate your investigations, though! *thumbup*

Yes, my thoughts exactly, I would like these to be a relatively affordable upgrade, but need to be both functional and aesthetically pleasing or else they will be no better than the wings available on ebay. All this is at an early stage but needed to check initial interest to see if it is viable for a plastics company to get interested (which they are). The race stays are these from Caterham - here

My wish list for these wings are as follows -

1. Look good

2. Close fitting to the tyre which is going to rule out using 70 profile

3. Be affordable, in a black ABS which can be painted

4. Easy to attach without having to drill the wings or stays and ideally avoid having to use bigheads or sikaflex.

5. Possible to fit side repeaters if required (not by me)

6. Try to avoid the need for custom made stays, although it does seem impossible to maintain close fitting decent looking wings with the standard stays, hence buying the race stays as an experiment.

*smile*

Yep, as usual, I'm bloody miles away! *thumbdown*

Are the race stays just shortened versions of the standard ones? Could we cut-and-shut our originals? I'm sure a jig could be made to ensure they're all the same length afterwards, and therefore fit these wings?

• 2 months later...

An update, I am ashamed to confess I haven't progressed this any further as yet, with the new job and engine taking my attention. I need new wings so need to do something, just not sure when I will have the chance. If anyone wants to take this on and continue I can help them with one of my old wings and my new lowered stays, if not then I will continue this when the time and money allows.

Thanks, Dave