Click here if you are having website access problems ×

New mecanical oil pressure guage fitted and oil temp broken any ideas?

wingnutLP

I have just removed my faulty factory fit oil pressure guage and replaced it with a mecanical one and for some reason the oil temp has stopped working.

Any ideas? I have checked all connections in the back. The pressure sender only had one connection so I don't see how the sender could have also done temperature. Maybe there is some sort of pass through from the old pressure dial to the temperature dial?

I have left all the old wiring in place, should I try plugging in the old guage to see what happens?

The oil temperature sender is normally screwed into somewhere like the Apollo tank - in the hot oil.

It may be switched between oil and water temperature with a toggle switch on the dash.

To start with, check switch set to oil temp and find oil temp sender. Remove the cable and touch it on to a metal part of the engine to ground it with ignition on. Temp gauge should go full scale.

OK, I will take a look.

There is a toggle switch but when it is set to oil which used to work now reads zilch.

I will contort myself under the dash and see if I have knocked something loose and thenhave a look at the apollo tank.

• 1 month later...