Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Propshaft guard?

Alaskossie

No idea - but the original owner/builder of one of my two sevens (a bike-engined Westfield) desgined and fitted a guard to the car when he removed the reverse-box and went for a straight-through prop.

I'm unsure of the exact spec, but my understanding is that it is a chunky ali plate mounted in the tunnel near to one of the CV (or is it UJ? *tongue*) joints. Some information from his archived build blog here

I'm well aware that this piece won't actually stop a flailing prop, but it should certainly slow it down, and just provides a little more sanity in the open gap in the tunnel chassis tubes in the area of the ankles where the reverse box was fitted.

I hope never to have a chance to test it - but maybe you could do something similar (and more substantial) yourself.

I manufactured prop collecting steel plates and secured them at both ends of the tunnel gussets, also put an alloy hoop around the middle of prop. This way it should collect a rotating shaft no matter which ends lets go. It was not difficult to fabricate *wink*

Edited by - Pendennis on 9 Aug 2012 19:13:25