Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Oil in exhaust

Dazzled

Last weekend i noticed a drop of oil on the garage floor under the exhaust. Its a 4 2 1 exhaust and the oil was under the cat by pass pipe. I've just started the car up to check and there is indeed oil trickling out of No2 down pipe and fair degree of oily smoke.

Its an ex VVC K series with a DVA conversion and has done about 16,000 miles with circ 4k since Dave Andrews breathed on it.

Obviously any oily smoke is never a good sign. Views on what might be the cause?

Dave

Does it use any oil on a run when warm....Could be a worn valve stem seal leaking oil past the exhaust valves when not in use. This would cause smoke on start up and after a period at idle.

Do the plugs look oily 🤔

Its most definitely oil and not petrol/ water and its not got a history of using oil on a run - and its done some big mileages in a day.

It has been sitting idle for quite a while - and by quite a while i mean a shameful 8 months.

Dave

I have been examining this problem on a couple of other engines.

The problem only seems to occur on cylinder 2 & 3 and on careful scrutiny of the head castings, the oil drainage from this area of the head around the base of the valve guides/stem seals is not very good, it is fine on cylinders 1 & 4 as there are drainage grooves to allow excess oil to escape down the bolt hole drains, on 2&3 these drainage grooves are not present so oil accumulates in this area.

When the engine is installed in a Caterham the angle of the engine is such that a fair bit of oil can accumulate and submerge the ends of the guides of cylinder 2&3 in oil on a permanent basis. If the engine is left for any period of time oil can seep slowly past the stem seal (especially if the valve is open) and down the guide into the exhaust port. The excess oil will also give the stem seals a hard time while the engine is running.

If you dont have a 4-2-1 exhaust or similar the oil will probably not makes is presence felt, if you do, some will leak from the joins and alert you to the issue.

I am progressing a solution which establishes oil drainage holes for cylinder 2 & 3 at the base of the guide platform which should eradicate the problem which is only prevalent on VVC heads.

Oily

Hi Oily ,

Thanks for the details. It exactly describes my issue. I guess there is no point in getting the valve seal replaced without having the root cause fixed too. I'll be in touch separately about that.

Given that the car needs an MOT I doubt it'll pass the emissions test in its current state.

Dave

PS - John A loves his Elise now that you've tweaked it. He's out terrorising the commuters of MK.

• 1 year later...

The drainage holes are require In the corners of the spring seats and must cut through to the bolt hole drains, you cannot drill, the angle required means that a circular carbide burr is required and must be moved sideways to make the hole.

It is effective though..

Oily