Click here if you are having website access problems ×

bonding front wings

pug7

Wwll tis time to call on blat chat technical help line !

Its time to fit my front wings. I dont want to have the bolt heads through them so have some sikaflex on standby. Other than the obvious, ive removed all the paint on the tubes and rough up inside the wings them selves. The plan is to put a small amount of sika on the steel tubes and then eyeball the wings into position over the wheels (fitted) masking tape them in place then if they still look ok tomorrow a good coating of sikaflex all around the tubes and about an inch either side of the tube onto the wings.

Anything ive missed? hints or tips to position them etc as I dont want to loose them on the B roads etc

thanks ! *smile*

i got a tube of the 292 (not sure how im going to stop the tube going off when ive just used a small bit to intially stick them in place hope its like silicone where just the outer edge goes off)

Seem to remeber something about the leading edge of the wing in relation to the wheel for the IVA but carnt find anything in the manual guess they assume we all like looking at bolt heads....

292 is fine, I just measured mine and the front edge of the wing is 63mm forward of the front edge of the wing stay - not bonded directly though as I bonded Bighead fasteners to the wings then used cable ties to hold them on.

Quite a debate about it all here *biggrin*

As long as you don't leave it more than a couple of weeks I'm sure the 292 will be fine if opened, I had half a tube left and gave it to someone to use later on and he had no problems.

Thanks for that link grubster looks like im going for overkill as the plan was to take the steel tubes to bare steel and coat the hole lot in sika about 1 inch either side and all over the mount tubes to create a "triangle" ish shape of sika with the steel mounts in the middle.

• Leadership Team

I'm with Grubbster, Sikaflex and big head/cable tie solution. I covered the end of the tube between uses and it did not go off - similar measurements to Grubbster too for wing leading edge.

Wear gloves if you have some - took a couple of weeks for the black to wear off my hands! *smile*

Thanks phil. Pretty much what i did last night although gone for the direct fixing. Just about to go out and see what happened during the night before I do a second coat and cover all around the tubes with sika.

But how much carbon on your car ? and that polish job looks amazing - what did you do/use to get that glass finish look ? mine will need a good going over post build. hopefully next weekend *smile* looking like less than 6 weeks delivery to finished. And i work abroad so can only do a bit when im home not every night after work !

Pug7, thanks for the compliment. I wish I could take credit for the finish but I’m afraid the paint gets all the glory. It’s a TVR colour called reflex purple which changes to green depending on the viewing angle. Not everyone’s cup of tea but I like it.

Some of the carbon additions shown, such as the rear lights, are from my old 7 which was a superlight with nose and wings in CF as standard. The current car still has GRP nose and rear wings until my finances improve. Having said that I do have a set of rear lights waiting to be fitted! 😬

Did you see how badly the aero fits the scuttle (or scuttle fits the areo)? – how embarrassing. 😳 😳 😳