Click here if you are having website access problems ×

zetec high engine 'temp'

millsn

My water temp gauge is now reading high. It seems to take until the engine is warned before it gets too hot (120) but I would anticipate HGF at those temps so suspect the readings. My laptop has given up the ghost so I can't just ask the ecu for confirmation. Temp readings for the gauge are coming from the plastic Ford Manifold and original temp sensor with one wire.

Any experience with a similar issue? I reckon the gauge is just over-reading but why?

The fan seems to be out to lunch. Pretty sure the water runs above 80 as designed. I suppose the thing to do to figure it out is drop the sensor into boiling water suitably connected.

Edited by - millsn on 4 May 2012 18:44:29

Hi *wavey*,

A few questions:

- Is the whole cooling system warming up?

- How quickly does it heat up from cold?

- Is it the genuine Ford sender with the Caerbont gauge?

- does it smell very hot?

Regards,

Giles

Is the whole cooling system warming up?

- How quickly does it heat up from cold? maybe 6 mins (too fast to be real I think)

- Is it the genuine Ford sender with the Caerbont gauge? its a vdo and its a XF sender but no probs until I started it after a 2 yr layup - I know it has to be an earthing issue somewhere

- does it smell very hot? no

If it was okay before layup then, as mentioned by Charlie already, the sender is worth checking.

6 mins warm up seems quick - how is your cooling system laid out? obviously you will have a main circuit including the radiator. Do you have a warm up circuit - basically a short circuit from the small plastic outlet below, and on the same side as, the main outlet to just before the pump infeed at the front of the engine.

Is the whole circuit the same temperature when you touch it?

Giles

Thanks to all for the suggestions:

Jobs for tomorrow

I'll be measuring the temp of the water return

I'll also be testing the sender using water from the kettle, Imight even tryrunning a seperate earth from the battery to the sender to see if that has a settling influence.

I'm also hoping I can get my crusty old laptop out of its fug and running easimap again (fingers crossed)

Let you know how it goes

Zetec stats like to stick, might be worth checking if your sender/gauge checkout ok. Don't think it's an earth issue, and the lack of fan action suggests that the rad circuit is not opening, and is only using the bypass circuit. You need the fan working, so you could put this in boiling water and see if the fan cuts in. This will confirm if your rad is not seeing hot water.

Edited by - Molecular--Bob on 4 May 2012 21:44:33

Tested the new thermostat and it seemed duff too. Until I boiled it in the pan that is. So the old one was fine.

I ran the car back up to temp and up to over temp and still on fan. There's plenty of power at the switch so it turns out I've a duff fan switch after all. Now off to find the right switch

• 4 weeks later...