Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Starter Motor Issue K Series

Jeremy Murfitt

I have just had the engine out to change the clutch. All back in but I have an electrical problem. the starter motor doesn't disengage when the engine starts. Took start off and operated it, works fine. On releasing ignition switch starter stops. I put it back on, disconnected spark plus, all OK, engine turns and stops when key released. Soon as it is bolted on and engine starts it keeps running? Must be something I have got wrong on the wiring. The only other wires which have come off are the alternator. Could I have crossed wires somewhere? On the alternator is the light wire fixed to the lower terminal?

Spacer in. I assume than that the live feed is only activating itself once gthe engine is running? I am not good on electrics, could that mean I have crossed the wires on the alternator? I see from from wiring diagram that one wire runs from the alternator to the starter.

It could be electrical, only occurring when the alternator is generating current, but I'm trying to work out how. On my K (Magneton starter, with the solenoid underneath) the wire from the alternator goes to the same post as the main feed from the battery, the solenoid switches both to the starter. Also try disconnecting the (small) wire that activates the solenoid and replacing it with a wire dabbed on battery positive to start the engine, that will discount electrical errors on the switch side of things.

Tony - the strter motor works absolutely fine (ie engages and disengages) as I have tested it with spark plugs disconnected. It only continues to run once the engine has fired up therefore my conclusion being it is some form of elctrical feed which is kicking in. I will check the wiring as you have suggested.

Blast - just typed a reply which got lost in the ether !!

On my k-series, the fat red permanent feed from the + on the battery is connected to the lower stud on the solenoid. This is then linked on to the big stud on the alternator.

The upper stud on the solenoid is connected to the starter motor.

The small spade terminal in the middle of the solenoid is connected to the small cable down from the starter relay.

On my 2002 car, the two small cores on the alternator are connected to a small moulded plug, so you can't misconnect them.

Thank you everyone for your help with this. "Stationary M25" - your wiring details were very helpful. I had wired the brown feed from the alternator to the wrong terminal on the starter motor. All running well. Shame I didn't get it right in the first place, would have saved me taking the engine out again as I had thought it was a problem with something catching in the bell housing. Live and learn. Just need some good weather now.