Click here if you are having website access problems ×

VX Aluminium Shocks

michaelw

Hi,

I've just taken the rear shocks off my VX and one of them is leaking, it has the aluminium bodied shocks which according to Caterham were "Pure race" shocks. I had to replace the fronts about 2 years ago and had one of the last pairs then according to Caterham.

They haven't had any of these in stock for years now but can supply the standard shocks which are apparently more road/race orientated rather than pure race. Does anyone know whether you can rebuild these, whether I won't notice any difference between what I had and the new ones if I go down that route or whether there are alternatives? I have spoken to Quantum and theirs are quite a bit more expensive and don't really want to replace the fronts unless I have to which I presume would be best if I'm changing to them. I am also not sure whether my ali shocks are valved very differently or were just a lighter version if that makes sense.

Any ideas much appreciated.

Michael.

Sounds like you have the Vauxhall Race Damper. Much beefier than the standard damper and valved specifically for the VX Caterham (or so i was told).

I'd stick with them and get them re-built.

Google came up with:

KBSS Ltd, Unit 3, Swannington Road, Broughton Abbey, Leicestershire, LE9 6TU. Tel:01455283407

Don't forget we offer club members 10% discount, Michael *wavey* And — although we have our own valving — if you're happy with what you already have, we could always put your good rear up on the dyno and valve our dampers to match. Where abouts in Sussex are you? Feel free to give me a bell if you want to discuss your options.

Laurence @ Quantum

Edited by - Laurence Wilson on 15 Feb 2012 15:32:59

Thanks for the replies. I think that was what I thought to be honest, the VX ones I have are a higher quality shock and more in line with the Quantum than the Caterham one. I will try and find out if I can rebuild them - they are Bilsteins - and if not go for the Quantum ones. I think I phrased the question wrong.

Lawrence,

I didn't know there was a club discount - good to know *smile* I did buy some shocks years ago off Pat and Bernard for my 200SX and they were great.

Michael.

The Quantum's maybe more expensive, but you get what you pay for *wink*

My new Quantums turned up yesterday, made to my request and installed already, they look very well made and I would be amazed if they do not make me go rather quick *smile*

It has been good dealing with a knowledgable 7 owner Laurence, thanks *wink*

BTW, valving is relevant to spring rates isn't it, so if your using road spring rates surely your want them valved accordingly. I appreciate the VX is heavier, but would it make that much difference regarding valving, I'd doubt it *wink*

Cheers

Ian

• 1 month later...

A bit of late feedback - better late than never *redface*

I got my Bilsteins rebuilt in the end and have done a track day with them and I am pleased with the result. It cost me £80 per damper which is quite pricey but they replaced a lot of bits including the shaft so probably not too bad and cheaper than new dampers - for the VX Aluminium ones anyway.

They turned them round in about 2 or 3 days which I thought was also very good.

Michael.