Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Coolant etc

Dave Rothwell

Hello all,

I'm afraid I'm still back in the 60's when it comes to motive power in seven's.

If anyone can enlighten me on a couple of facts on my Rover K-series supersport I'd be much obliged. I bought my superlight a few weeks ago and have the assembly manual for the car but nothing for the engine etc.

Whats the recommended coolant to use ?

Can you recommend a good manual for the engine ?

Finally theres a very small oil weep that appears to be coming from behind the plastic timing belt cover where it meets the block just above the alternator. The oil is just running down the back of the plastic. Is this a common area for weeps ? I dont know the torque setting for the setscrews that join the cover to the block or I would check if they are all snugged up. Maybe there's another cause.

Just wondering if this is common - I once had a Rover V8 that leaked around the dizzy area and it turned out this was fairly usual.

This is a very very small trickle in fact its only a couple of drops a week but may as well have it right.

Many Thanks for any help,

Dave.

Dave

I found the following Haynes manual useful...

Rover 211, 214, 216, 218 & 220 Petrol & Diesel (Dec 95 - 98) N to R

There are also various documents in electronic format (pdf) available on the K-series.

My car (new 2001) also came with a "User Guide", a 10-20 page guide with recommended fluids, fuse rating etc listed etc.

Adam

Morning dave the cover itself dose not hold back oil you may find it is coming from the cam cover or one other seal. this isthe first part to check.antifreeze your better to use what mole suggested this you will get from your local halfords ect

fred *eek*

Hi Dave,

I learnt a hell of a lot about K-engines from Dave Andrews web site

here

it is mainly 'internal' stuff but is interesting to read. Haynes manuals as mentioned above from Halfords - good for lots of torque settings.

Finally this place. Learnt a huge amount from Blatchat Tech talk, from K experts such as Peter Carmichael, Oilyhands and others. Look for titles in the search option which match your questions, and it is almost always in there!

😬26,000 miles in 13 months! *cool* *thumbup*

angus@tinyworld.co.uk

I had to go to my local main factor (i.e. the one that supplies the local Rover dealer). In fact the local Rover dealer's parts desk didn't even seem to know that the ready mixed stuff even existed - tried to convince me that I didn't know what I was talking about. (I wonder what they are putting in the K-series' that they service 😳). So beware - but the phone call to the dealer to tell them that they don't know what they're talking about is sooo gooood 😬 😬

SV 52 CAT - the Mole is flying