Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Would this be an IVA failure?

Alexander Gurr

Hi Guys,

I am putting the diff back in my car for a second time and noticed that the rubber at the end of the handbrake cable is split, not all the way down, but partially. Before I put the diff back in and move on, do you guys think this might result in an IVA failure? I would hate to crack on, then realise that I had to take the diff back out just to change the blooming cable.

Under normal circumstances i would call Caterham, but it is Sunday and I want to make decent progress with the build today.

Ta in advance.

Alex

*thumbup*

It is the rubber gater at either end of the cable where they attach to the calipers. It may be possible to get the cable out with everything in situe, but for the life of me I can't see how as the plastic adjusters won't go between the diff and the transmission tunnel!

Cheers,

Alex

Quoting Michael Downing: 
Quoting Paul Richards: 
Confirm you can normally replace cable with diff in place.

You didn't really want to know that, did you Alex?

Nope *mad* 😬

Just to check...I have a BMW diff that has the handbrake adjuster on the right hand side further back than on the old Sierra diff. I just cant see how you can get this past the diff (between it and the transmission tunnel to get the cable out. How would you go about changing the handbrake cable with the diff in situ?

Many thanks,

Alex

If it re-assures you at all, Alex, I've looked at my (BMW) diff and can't see how you would replace the handbrake cable in situ - the clearances around the new frame are *very* tight. Perhaps by withdrawing it towards the white adjuster, but it's surely going to snag on something.

My inclination would be to keep building and flag it up to Caterham at the PBC, making clear that the cable arrived that way and therefore if it is a problem, would they solve it please...