Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Quick question reagarding my dizzy (actually working on It now)

PSJ

Ok so I have my dizzy cap off. Looking for signs to show a failed trigger switch with my

Lumenition ignition. (I was told the trigger switch is known to fail causing misfires and cutting out etc)

Are the signs visable to the eye? Everything seems good, no broken or weak wires, chopper looks good etc etc. Should I strip down the dizzy completely?

What am I looking for?

I was going to order a new powerspark conversion to replace my current old one which originally replaced the older points. I'm currenty just having a look before I do so to see if I could resolve the problem myself.

Thanks.

There's 3 wires which come out the dizzy. Black red and blue. Along these wires Theres a plug inbertween the dizzy and lumenition box. I pulled it apart and the black wire on the dizzy side fell out the socket. Fixed it now but I'm assuming this could of been the cause to my car misfiring and cutting out!? What do u guys reckon?

Sounds very likely, but the only way to find out is to drive it. If it happens again you could replace the connector to eliminate it as a cause. I did this on my crossflow with spade connectors as my plastic block had gone brittle and looked a bit melted in places.

My hot running miss-fire turned out to be a combination of a dizzy that wasn't locked in the right place, and valve clearances that needed re-setting. Easy to do on a crossflow, but i suspect a bit of a pain in the 🙆🏻 on a twin cam.

Ok great, hopefully it will just be that. I would of put it all back together today but I had abit liquid welding to do on the carbs so need to let that set 1st. Will report back tomorrow and see if solves the problem :) fingers crossed!!!

Well I got it all back together an took it out to hartside for a test run ( its basically on my front sort step 😬 ) car ran ALOT better, no misfiring, backfiring and didn't cut out once! So It was defo down to that lose black wire. Happy days.

But I do think I'm suffering from the carbs being on to tight. Iv herd that the petrol can 'throf' if there to tight? Car slightly holds back around 3-3.5k, is this the correct symptom for this?