Click here if you are having website access problems ×

heated screen

johnv

Could try this - turn on the ignition but not start the engine, put the headlamps on then the heated screen - see if the headlamps dim slightly when the screen heater is on? Check it is connected under the dash (easy to see). They normally work quite effectively.

the first thing would be to check the fuse. Its rated at 10A which might be a bit low and can be uprated to 15A without any problem. If the fuse is ok you need either to check the continuity of the screen by getting to the +12V connection to the screen, either under the dash or at the back of the screen heater switch, or measure the current consumption with the heater switched alternately on and off. The wires to the screen come out through a couple of holes either side of the car, usually just under the screen sealing rubber strip. There should be an insulating grommet in these holes but if they're damaged the wire insulation can chafe through and short to the bodywork, causing the fuse to blow. If yours has blown you should check these wires.

I must say I've always found my screen clears pretty well with the heater on and the roof up when its wet. If you didn't have the roof on I doubt there would be enough heat to clear it. And yesterday would have been a special challenge.

Edited to add, the two wires can be got at by removing the knee panels. The +12V 'live' side is on the left (passenger) side in my car (c. 1995) and is connected by a bullet connector to a green/pink wire. The ''chassis' wire is black and again connected via a bullet connector to a black wire that's bolted to the metalwork. Its a bit of a 'faff' to get at them and you can do more harm than good rummaging around under the dash by pulling wires out. I would try Steve's test first as this will give you a clue whether its working or not.

Edited by - Paul Deslandes on 19 Aug 2011 11:32:37