Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Head gasket failures ...(not 7)

captain chaos

I have a Porsche 968CS and a merc sprinter which I used last year for towing to race events'

Due to personal circumstances I've been unable to do much this year and the the sprinter has only been used about 4 times and the 968 hasn't turned a wheel since last October. I've turned the 968 engine over every couple of weeks without fuel/ignition to circulate the oil and move the belts.

Both vehicles were used earlier this week and both now have HG failure symptoms..is that just bad luck? or can anything be done to lessen the likleyhood of this happening again? I'm gutted as I'm skint at the moment! i know it's best to keep vehicles being used by the 968 is not road legal... ☹️

Well...The 968 did have an overheating problem (split hose during a race which I spotted too late) which cooked the HG...this time the car has run perfectly...competed with her last year with no problems..and since then she has sat idle.

The sprinter had a new HG because I had the head refurbed due to the 'black death' fuel leaking around the injectors.

*confused*

...no overheating issues at all...

Well...The 968 did have an overheating problem (split hose during a race which I spotted too late) which cooked the HG...this time the car has run perfectly...competed with her last year with no problems..and since then she has sat idle

🤔

Also, if it was blowing the coolant out, then the needle may well not have risen, even if the water was boiling - the sensor has to be IN the water to detect overheating, if you haven't got any... then you've got plenty of localised hotspots going on all over the place!