Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Widetrack conversion questions

philwaters

I've got a complete widetrack kit in my loft (along with a new steering rack) and am starting to think about when and how to go about getting it swapped over.

The issue is I am coming from a classic set-up ('96 Classic) so my lower wishbones currently have the trunnion set-up and the front fixing fits over a spigot sticking out of the chassis, rather than a threaded bush inside the chassis (as per a De-Dion).

So, I know that Arch can make the necessary changes for me and I am going to chat to Bruce about this, but I'm trying to work out some form of logistics. I don't have a trailer so would need to drive the car there really.

So, first question is can the old wishbones be refitted without the spigot to allow me to drive home again? Obviously the current bushes won't work as the bolt size is bigger - could the bush me modified to suit or would they eat themseves on the thread of the bolts?

Second question is about damper length - I've read a mixture of threads that either say you need longer one and some say you don't. I don't thnik I can use the extension pieces because I am not running standard dampers (AVO's) - if I need longer dampers, is the best way forward to just add the length of the extension part to the open & closed lengths of the damper I have or is there a better solution (more or less travel? etc)

Cheers, that's all for now *smile*

I spoke to Bruce about the same conversion and he offered to complete the work on a Saturday morning, so only one trip required *smile*

Not sure about the differences in bolt size

John

Edited by - John_C on 30 Jun 2011 21:15:11

The AVOs are available in 4 different rod end lengths for dedion, measured from the centre of the eye to the bottom of the shoulder: 32mm 46mm 53mm and 60mm. The 32mm is the correct length for narrow track dedion. If you use the 32mm rod ends for wide track you will have insufficient damper length on full droop and on full bump the lower wishbone may hit the side skin. When I changed to widetrack I went from 32 to 53mm rod ends.

You will need to check the overall length as you are starting from classic suspension setup.