Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Fuel Filter - correct method of disconnecting

TeKK

Hi everyone,

Can someone please give me an idiots guide to disconnecting the fuel lines on the fuel filter? *confused* (I've already checked Alcester for the method but I'm a little stuck)

Specifically the J-piece, I can see rubber fuel line going in, with the large nut, but when I try and undo this it turns but tries to turn the J-piece with it and this then twists the rubber fuel line, until it's pretty stuck and I can't turn it anymore without starting to bend the J-Piece and almost rip the thing from the bulkhead.

Do I have to counter-rotate the small nut on the J-piece to undo it? Help! *confused*

From memory, I had to use two spanners on both the upper and lower joints. The Alcester Racing Sevens says that one joint is fixed, the upper I think, but I found that I had to undo mine and reposition it so that the lower pipe was oriented properly. Something like that anyway.

I haven't tried unbolting the top joint yet, I'm still stuck with the connection from the rubber fuel pipe to the J-piece.

It seems to be either siezed solid or I'm just doing it wrong *confused* from what you say, counter-rotating both bolts on the connection is right? Or at least holding one still?

I was about to edit my post to say, judging by the photos on Alcester, the nut/thread on the J-Piece seems to be the one that detaches, as it can move vertically along the pipe.

I shall attack it with vast amounts of WD40 in the morning *smile*

Once I've got all this sorted, I'll snap a load of photos, currently the fuel tank is out too.

Update

Yet again a 15 minute job is scuppered by siezed bolts. I can't get the bolts of the fuel filter to release their grasp from both ends (to the fuel lines)

I've poured a liberal amount of 3in1 oil on them for now, has anyone got any advice?

Rotating the filter to try and unscrew from the fixed fuel line, only served to spin both bolts. Counter-rotating/much swearing and I'm no further forward.