Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Front suspection components - Freestyle

Gay7

I appear to have a bit of a problem (but admittedly not quite as big as Gary's appears to be).

My Seven is due it's MoT, and while fixing the lower spherical joint on the front suspension, I found that the lower damper mounting bolt (in the lower wishbone) had sheared! *eek*

Anyway. managed to get the broken bit of bolt out, but only by cutting up the bush and metal sleeves.

'No problem', I thought, 'I'll get replacements from Freestyle'.

Except I couldn't get hold of Gary, and I've just read on here that a unit next to his has burnt down and he appears to be unable to continue trading at the moment!

So anyone got any suggestions where I can get the concentric metal sleeves used in the Freestyle 'Avo' dampers and bushes Are the sleeves standard Caterham fit?

I also have the Freestyle front adjustable ARB, and the rubber gaitors on that are also unlikely to get approval from the MoT tester. Any suggestions on where to get new ones of those from, too?

Much appreciated.

Adam.

Thanks, Graham!

OK, that's good to know about the sleeve. I wasn't sure whether the outside diameter would be the same, but I guess they won't be too expensive to give a try, anyway. I'll give them a call tomorrow.

I have a feeling the gaitors aren't quite the same as Caterham use - They're different each end, anyway, so at least one of them won't be. But again, they can't be too expensive, so I guess I could give them a shot and see if I can somehow get them to fit, with generous use of cable ties...

Cheers!

Adam.

Ah, OK, thanks. I've just ordered them, so we'll see what we get.

Oh, and I also checked the ARB gaitors last night, and actually you could well be right that they are the same, and standard Caterham items. It's just that the ARB itself is different each end, and so the covers are stretched differently, so look different. Hopefully I can get the stanard items to fit adequately!

Cheers,

Adam.

Parts arrived today, but CC sent me the 'inner' sleeve for the top and bottom ends of the damper, not both sleeves for the bottom end, as I'd asked for.

Just been on to them, and apparently they don't actually stock that item - they are just supplied as part of a Bilstein damper, complete with bush, etc. They don't even stock replacement bush kits, as it seems the bushes outlive the dampers themselves!

Anyway, have just phoned AVO, and they can supply the bushes and sleeves, so fingers crossed, I'll get the right parts just in time for the weekend.

Cheers,

Adam.

Edited by - Gay7 on 20 Apr 2011 11:05:18