Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Tyres again - profile & type change

TomB

Ive had an MOT advisory to change the tyres - fair cop, I knew they needed doing!

Im currently running 185-60-13 Toyo 888, whilst very good from a grip perspective, Im getting through them fairly quickly!

A mate has a four practically brand new Yoko 21R on 185-70-13 which I have been offered at a price of a pair of new 888.

Id like some advice on these tyres and profile changing. The car is used almost exclusively on road these days, albeit generally fair weather, which is why Ive been happy running cut slick tyres with minimal tread. I dont generally do long distances or touring, but will typically go out for half a day run out on lumpy roads, which oop north anyway, seem to be full of popt holes. The car is a 1.8k SS with a 5 speed bix and 3.92 diff.

Ive noticed the 888 have a tendency to tram line and I sometimes have to fight the road surface. they do have price going for them thou - with the club discount, they cost about £125/pair in 185-60-13.

Dont know where to go on this - I need to get them sorted in the next week or so, so any advice woudl be appreciated.

Hi Tom

For the price you can't go wrong with the 21rs.

They are an excellent compromise for road use, they hardly ever tramline and are a bit more compliant on the bumpy potholed roads we have up north. Give 10-15mm more sump clearance. Work well in the wet.

Only problem I've found is they overheat after about 10min on a dry trackday.

They will bring the gearing up to 20mph/1000rpm in 5th.

John

Its the profile change that Im most interested in - what will it do to the car?

Will it make it more wallowy & bouncy on one hand, or more compliant and less harsh on the other? I suppose for £150, there is only one way to find out!

21R 70s made my old car (1995 1.4 Supersport) feel like Noddy's - bouncy bouncy all over the place. When I first fitted 21R 60s my eyeballs rattled around in their sockets so much I couldn't see where I was going but after a while the effect went away. Then I went to 888s, seemed the same. Then back to 21R 70s and they didn't seem quite so bouncy. They are cheap and excellent in the wet though so I'd fit them again *thumbup*

Good point, not 100% on what mine were apart from being on 13" Anthracites 6"'s and 8"'s.

Must have been 185 x 60 and 205 x 60, although they look a bit bigger than that on my pics.

http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y286/badgerbill/seven/?action=view&current=driverside.jpg

BB