Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Hydraulic brake light switch conversion - photos?

techbod

(I have trawled through he archives on this subject, and the only links I can find for photos about this seem to be dead.)

The car is a 1989 live axle, with hydraulic brake light switch and no/open pedal box. After the old switch failed, I replaced it with a new one, which works correctly but still needs a fair amount of pressure on the brake pedal before the contacts will close. In normal driving this means the brake lights aren't coming on most of the time.

So I'm looking at converting to an electrical switch, operated from the brake pedal. Has anyone with a similar chassis got any photos of how they achieved this and which switch, bracket etc they used.

Thanks

7 Indulgence made this mod for me a couple of years ago as the light weren't coming on unless I was pretty much emergency stopping...

The car is back with Grahame at the moment for a service so can't take a photo right now but if you haven't had a result by the time it comes back (next week I guess) then I'll happily take some for you. Just blatmail me your details.

I think they fabricated a small bracket to take a BMW motorbike microswitch from memory.

Thanks for the replies *thumbup*.

bstark - I'll blatmail you my details, I'm very interested in your setup.

And (grammer!) I'll talk to James Whiting and see if he can come up with a low pressure version - which would save a lot of mucking around...