Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Repair to spare wheel cradle

Adrian Williams

A club member friend of mine with a broken computer also has a broken spare wheel carrier, it's cracked along the brazing where the cradle meets the rear basket on one side.

First question: Does anyone know where he could get it brazed in South Bucks, he lives between Beaconsfield and Bourne End.

Second question: His car is painted can this be done without ruining the paintwork, either way I'm assuming the tank will have to come out although it's an SV so access might be better than I'm used to.

I've already suggested removing it and carrying some tyre weld but he'd rather fix it if he can.

Adrian

I manage to 'break' mine on my S2 but its a welded chassis , so it was TIG welded back on just needed to clean the area aroung the old welds ,did not even

need to remove the tank .If you want to go welding repair you would need to remove ALL the braze so would need to remove completely and start again,I do not think you could repair the braze as it would cause too much damage to paint/ali panel. Best option would be go for the removeable type

Brian

Johnty: Not wishing to hi-jack the thread but your reply talks about "inserts" and removable etc. I'm keen to do this and whilst OK at general DIY etc somewhat mechanically challenged particularly if brazing required! Therefore very interested in your SIMPLE reference, can you elaborate and what exactly do you mean by inserts.

Thanks, Trevor

Hi Trevor,

There is loads of info on this if you do a search in tech talk.

Try this to get you started here

When I did mine it was fairly simple. I ordered a length of 16mm steel tube from ebay for around a fiver.

Luckily I have a mate who does a bit of welding *cool*

Regards

Dignity

Edited by - Dignity on 20 Mar 2011 12:41:42