Click here if you are having website access problems ×

sidescreen window 'dints'

techbod

I've got a couple of finger size 'dints' (for want of a better word) in one of my sidecreen windows. The plastic must have been stretched slightly at some point to create them. Is there any way these can be persuade to shrink back again, perhaps with gentle heat?

Or will I end up ruining the screen completely if I try this?

To answer my own question - yes it does help.

Using the SO's hair-drier with more lights, buttons and switches than the 7 (full control over temperature and fan speed) and a cautious approach to how hot it all got, I found heating the whole area from both sides around and including the 'dint', made the window noticeably more pliable and soft. As it cooled it has pulled much of the 'dint' out. It took several attempts increasing the heat each time.

They haven't gone completely but they are very much reduced. It might be a hair-drier doesn't get quite hot enough to completely remove them, but that's all the experimenting I want to try on them for now.

Thanks for the replies.

These are doors that came with the car which I have never used and have lived indoors for a couple of years without the dints dropping out. I can only assume that either the house never gets warm enough ☹️ or that they were too big to disappear at room temperature.